Sunday, October 19, 2008

My First Breath as System Analyst and Project Manager




Since I have joined my bachelors, I always wanted to do something different, something uncommon. This semester was the best opportunity to take what you want and think till you can. In database and software engineering I Courses, which are both 4 credit hours courses, one can take the project to its limits but of course semester was bit heavy to being over-optimistic can be very precarious specially when I have some GPA sensitive issues as well.

Never mind, I started brainstorming for project in summers as most of time I was free during that time but couldn’t reach consensus with two opposing cerebrum of my brain. Suddenly, I came up with situation where I needed to rectify the 14 years old system of CEO of company who has been very reluctant adopting the changing and demanding technology. His DOS based application for company having revenues more than 30 Million PKR inspired to design the system. - By the way it was small error for which I was called to emend which was caused by Power Failure. Coming to point :


Bingo……………!!!



That’s what I was looking for damn. I convinced the person for need of new system though he has been hesitant to change the system that he has been running since he actually started his business but somehow agreed on term that “I will try only if I liked it.” Though this wasn’t good for us and neither it is trend of IT industry. But we have to take his words as we had no option.

We, my group consisting of 2 other fellows of mine, did the system analysis at his office. I was very enthusiastic about it as it was my first experience of my life, may be the first baby touch of something which will mature as my career, my profession, my passion. It was 45 minutes session which I guess went really very well apart from few juvenile hindrances done by Saim, as usual. Coming to my experience now regarding this job of System Analyst:

1) Strong listening skills – You must give attention to user so that he feels your commitment towards your job.

2) very and I mean very strong Communication skills – Sometimes you need to ask business sensitive question that you can’t put directly, thus asking in smart way is key here.

3) It requires good interaction skills – this is not as communication skills, good interaction is how you deal your client technically, professionally and personally.

4) Good pitfall skills – sometimes you got to apply some unethical thins and this is what “pitfalls” defines here. In order to arouse your client, you should know how to tell one thing in 10 different ways.

5) Trust Factor – The best thing you can get from client is his/her trust on you and your organization and that’s what we lacked as we were 21 years kids trying to do the job of big sharks.

6) Good PR (Personal Relations) – If you have this, damn you have one the most important thing to be successful System Analyst as this project is the best example of how PR can make your life easy.

7) Knows how to make Opportunity – If one has only this thing in his bag, I guess he has almost everything to be good System Analyst and Project Manager. A good system analyst must know how to make spacious room for project even though there is no need of it. See, this is business with very sensitive profession as well. He shouldn’t never ask “where is the opportunity, directive or Problem?” but if there isn’t any then make one that’s what you are here. If there isn’t any problem to solve then show the situation in problematic way, if there isn’t opportunity then create one. I know it sounds unprofessional, unethical and unprincipled but if one knows these skills then it is not.

I don’t know what lies ahead for me. But I am seeing myself growing in this profession. I hope I will get the right path to groom myself.
And yeah as far as this project is concerned, the best thing about our client he has no time issue so we can submit when we are ready. So this thing has reduced our burden and hopefully he will successfully deliver this project with end-to-end solution. Of course, I also would like to take the opportunity to thanks our project supervisor Sir Ubaid Aftab Chawla who is helping us in every thick and thin situation. And I hope we will be able to fulfill his all optimistic hopes that he has from us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, what necessary words..., a magnificent idea

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.